The Castle is the most complete and authentic medieval fortress in Ireland. Originally built in 1425, it was restored in 1954 to its former medieval splendour and now contains mainly 15th and 16th century furnishings, tapestries, and works of art which capture the mood of those times. The cottages of the folk park spread out at the foot of its massive walls.